- Why New Beginnings Make Us So Scared
- Why We Shouldn’t Fear New Beginnings
- Getting Comfortable with Change
- Examples Of New Beginnings That Could Change Your Life
- How Do I Know When It’s Time to Change
- How To Get Into a Mindset Ready For Change
- Let Go Of The Past And Look Forward To The Future
- The Power Of New Beginnings
- Tips for How to Embrace New Beginnings
Letting go of the past to move on is often easier said than done. Besides just enabling you to move forward, there are many other reasons why you must let go of past events. Because with a past weighing you down, you’ll never be able to greet the future with open arms.
The Past is The Past
First and foremost, you need to let go of the past because it is just that, the past. Yes, it’s contributed to who you are today, but you can change that and move past the past.
If you spend time and mental energy thinking about things that have happened or events you wished you could have prevented, this is valuable energy wasted. Instead of putting this energy into your future goals, you are putting them into something that will never change.
And if you spend too much time worrying about the past, you may soon find you’ve wasted away the present as well. You should reflect on the past at times, but remember, you don’t live there anymore. You live in the here and now and should work towards a brighter future.
Dwelling On The Past Will Only Hurt Your Outlook
If there’s something in the past you are specifically dwelling on, that’s likely because it was a situation that caused you a large amount of stress or sadness. And you may not realize it, but inviting these memories into your mind is inviting these negative emotions back into your life.
As long as these emotions cloud your judgment, it will be difficult for you to look forward with optimism, which is a key part of achieving future success.
Take this to your journal and learn to heal yourself through journaling. Get all of those emotions out onto paper and work through them. Afterwards, if they are really painful, you can burn the pages. This is a form of releasing the past and letting it go.
You Are Not Your Past
The things which may have happened previously in your life may have shaped who you are today, but you must remember you are not these experiences. Your mind created any attachment you have to these past events, and they will continue to hold you back as long as you let them.
Cut the ties today and commit to a new life unattached to what may have happened in your past.
Letting go of the past and committing to move forward is never the easy option. If it were, everyone would do it. But it is impossible to go towards a positive future without also having a positive attitude and outlook on life—and holding on to your past will inhibit you from doing so.
So, if you want to be successful in the future, take the first step by committing to letting go of your past today. You don’t have to know all the steps, you just need to take the next step.
- With a past weighing you down, you’ll never be able to greet the future with open arms, which is why you should find ways to let it go.
- Accept that the past is the past. Put your time and energy into thinking about your future goals instead.
- Realize that dwelling on hurtful memories will only bring negative emotions into your life, making it difficult to move forward with optimism.
- Acknowledge that you are not your past. Cut ties with your negative experiences.
All the best,
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Be sure to grab your Kickstart Journaling Guide below. It's delivered right to your inbox
I’m an Imperfect Christian, Musician’s Wife, Mom, Nana, Friend and Encourager. I work on this site for my own growth and benefit, probably more so than I do for others, but I pray that what I’m learning and sharing will help others in their personal development and journaling adventures.